Dentists have a wealth of knowledge about oral health, but it can be hard for them to get that knowledge across to their patients. Here are five things dentists wish more patients knew that could help them maintain better oral health:
1. Regular check-ups are essential, even if your teeth feel fine. Dentists can catch problems before they become more serious, which can save time and money down the line.
2. Don’t brush too hard. Brushing your teeth too hard can actually cause more damage than it prevents. Dentists recommend using either an electric toothbrush or a soft-bristled brush and gentle strokes.
3. Flossing is just as important as brushing your teeth. Flossing helps remove plaque and bacteria in between your teeth, which can help prevent gum disease and other issues.
4. Not all sugars are created equal. Sugars from natural sources, like fruits, are not as bad for your teeth as processed sugars found in candy and soda.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Dentists are here to help, and they understand that not everyone knows all the ins and outs of oral health. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
Following these tips can help you maintain better oral health and keep your dentist visits stress-free. It’s important to stay on top of your oral health, so don’t forget to schedule regular check-ups with your dentist.